In a new podcast posted on youtube I discuss US President Donald Trump’s momentous decision to withdraw from Syria.
It touches on the following points.
- Challenges for the region?
- Is this another “mission accomplished” moment against ISIS, despite the war not being over?
- The US campaign in Syria was a success of the ‘by, with and through’ doctrine.
- Some always supported working with Turkey or the Syrian rebels instead of the YPG, but the US got involved in eastern Syria to stop the ISIS genocide
- How the US sought to distance itself from direct YPG connections
- What happened to the stabilization and Iran leverage concept
- Was this a transactional and temporary relationship?
- Is this a betrayal of US partners?
- Did Russia win?
- America had too many missions in eastern Syria
- This shows how parts of the US government didn’t have a unified mission